View Single Post
JK47

2005-12-16, 19:03

So having returned home from college (with my powerbook), I discovered that my fairly nice Dell (3.4 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HD) is taking FOREVER to do even simple things like open applications. Norton detected no viruses, and Adaware cleaned up a bunch of spyware. Even after these scans and a defragment, it's not much faster. It's not worth the effort for me to find out exactly what's making it run so slowly, so I'm just going to reformat and re-install XP Pro. I was looking for some recommended applications after I reinstall XP for:

1. Antivirus - Have Norton now, contemplating changing this, but then again, it only takes 2 processes, and it does its job well. I also have access to McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 through my college for free. If there is another that you prefer, let me know.

2. Firewall - Have Norton Internet Security now, that's DEFINITELY going. As I said above, I may keep the antivirus, but that's it. I'd prefer a free firewall, but if you have another retail one you prefer, I'll consider that too.

3. AIM Client - My Dell has AOL AIM on it now, but I've fallen in love with Adium for my powerbook. I know there is no Adium for Windows, but I was wondering if any of you have some good 3rd party AIM clients.

4. Antispyware - Dell has both Lavasoft (free, so no passive scanning) on it now as well as MS Antispyware Beta. MS Antispyware scans actively, so I'm considering giving it the boot to for some performance gain. Also, do you recommend using more than one Antispyware program?

5. MISC Utility Programs - Any other utility programs you recommend installing to optimize system performance and keep it good working order.

6. Weather Program - I like to be able to check the weather regularly (thanks to Dashboard), so I'm considering installing Konfabulator for weather monitoring. However alternative suggestions are also welcome.

7. Windows Preferences - Anything special you would do to your Windows system after a fresh reformat/install.

I already use Firefox as my default browser, Thunderbird as my default email program, and iTunes as my default music program, none of which I intend to change. Good extensions for Firefox are also welcome.