View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-17, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Righty-O Guys,

I have a 1.25 Ghz 15" Powerbook, the model with 64 MB Radeon 9600, 80 GB HHD (4200 RPM) and Superdrive (forgot speed). I just realized that my powerbook is nearly 3 years old, so my question is, how long will it last? When should I buy a new one? In your opinions of course.
Hi Maciej,

My main work machine is one of the first 17" G4 PBs off the production line.
It now has 1GB of ram and a 5400RPM 100GB drive... But other than that it's standard.
This is the longest I have held onto one machine and I use it every day for a minimum of 12 hours a day.

I am waiting for the screen to start giving me problems and then I'll relegate it to the spare room with a monitor as a movie / music system and wireless backup server.

Running the latest OS and mostly the latest software I really cannot complain about this machines performance. It's not as snappy as my Dual G5 (obviously), but I still use the 17" more than the G5 by a long shot. I guess I am just a portable kind of guy.

I really think that swapping out youur harddrive and adding some ram should solve *all* of your problems for at least another 12 months, minimum.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt