View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-20, 12:34

I said, several pages ago, that not all fan service is created equally. We’ve all seen the bonehead variety...cheap, lazy, hollow and uninspired.

And then we see how a show like this handles it so well. They’re pulling from all the best parts of the property - movies, animation, novels - because they can.

Strictly from a dollars and sense (yes, that’s intentional) perspective, why spend $200-300M to make a movie that might - or might not - hit big and bring in that magic $1B, when you can produce quality episodic, “long game” storytelling for 1/3 the budget and bring in $700M+ (and sure to grow) every month.

Star Wars movies might become a once-in-a-while event, but the property’s secure future is right where it is, IMO.

Once all these other shows get going, that’s going to be a hell of a lot of entertainment piped into your house for well under $10 a month. Even if Disney+ jumps to $9.99 in a few years, if there are 3-5 SW shows airing, covering much of the year and opening up that world - while still nodding to the past - as this one has, that’s a more than fair price to pay for such entertainment. You can’t see a single movie for $9.99 anymore, not even in my town. I can only imagine the prices in LA, NYC, etc.

I no longer worry about Star Wars, and I won’t unless/until I’m given a reason to. I don’t plan on that happening anytime soon. This show will likely serve as their “how to do things right” template.