View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-11, 13:31

This seems like a good place to post this (because of some discussion upthread, from a year or so ago).

Disney+ now has 118 million subscribers.

I remember saying, a year or so ago, how if they eventually can get to 90-100M subscribers "at some point", at $6.99/month, that shakes out to "a lot of money" on a monthly basis.

Financial genius <-- me

Well, two things:

- They've blown way the hell past my figure, by about 20M
- Disney+ is now $7.99/month, up $1 from a year ago or earlier

So, let's do the math based on the numbers above, as they now stand:

118,000,000 x 7.99 = $942,820,000. A month. That's just under $1B/month. One month of Disney+ income could basically fund an entire trilogy, at $200-250M each to produce, and $250M+ left over for marketing and all.

And this will only grow/expand, once these other shows (SW, Marvel, etc.) debut or renew.

I know that isn't all profit, of course. But it's nearly $1B/month they weren't bringing in 2-3 years ago!

Damn.

That's almost real money!

I'd say a healthy chunk of that is on the back of The Mandalorian, and those Marvel shows as well. I suspect more of those are coming(?), but we know we've got Kenobi, Boba Fett, Andor, Ahsoka (and a third season of The Mandalorian) all on deck and coming in 2022-2023(?), so...yeah.

I can see that 118M being more in the 135-140M range a year or so from now (and I can also imagine another $1 monthly bump). If I undershot it again, this year, then just going by those guesses (140M subscribers x $8.99/month), that's a healthy $1,258,600,000 ($1.2B+) coming in on a reliable, predictable basis, monthly.

I need to go work for Disney.

As before, I'm the first to admit that I'm a complete loss at math...so please feel free to double-check my numbers/calculations above. Because it almost sounds too high to be true.

But I've plugged in 118,000,000 x $7.99 three times and it keeps coming out to that $942M+ figure. A month.

Note to Disney: take some of that boatload of revenue and try to find/hire some really good writers for any future big-screen and/or trilogy outings. And maybe pay J.J. a handsome sum to sit it out/go away. Thank you!