View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-24, 08:36

Better Call Saul mid-season finale…took about 57 minutes to actually get to the point/have something happen.

Glad this show is winding down. This season has been a bit of a slog. It’s just all over the place.

Around the :40 mark last night I was *this close* to bailing, and I wondered, out loud (I’m the only one here), “for crying out loud, is anything going to happen on this episode - how many shots are we going to see someone sitting in a sewer?! - or are they just going to cram in some shocking bullshit into the final two minutes so they can get a ginned-up cliffhanger?”

Well…

I’ve genuinely enjoyed all the previous seasons. This one, somehow, comes across differently and has been more of a chore. I’m glad this is its final season. After the past 2-3 episodes, I’d hate knowing I was looking at investing in another whole season of all this atomic-level “quirk” (aka interminable buildup/meandering punctuated by cruel, random violence in the closing seconds).

Hard to feel bad/sorry for Jimmy or Kim at this point, which makes it an even tougher thing to follow. Even if the main characters of a movie or TV series are shitheads, there has to be some sort of redeeming, likable scrap to hold onto/root for. Haven’t felt that in a while, and certainly don’t today. Everything Howard said about them, to them, was 100% true. Kim wrecked her life, throwing in with Jimmy. For the first time in the show’s run, I no longer really care about what happens to her. She’s damaged and vile. By choice. She’s no innocent, helpless victim. I see that now. She might’ve been, years back. But she’s as much of a soulless lizard as Jimmy. If she winds up taking one to the head by the series finale…oh well.