View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-12-03, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yes, the controller stops the panels from charging the batteries past 14.xVDC. I don't recall the specific voltage off the top of my head, but think it is 14.6 for flooded. The controllers do have options to allow you to choose what kind of battery you are charing with the controller. This gives flexibility with that. They recommend that only deep cycle be used, but that assumes you allow for depletion by powering loads after dark. I'm not going to be discharging my batteries but rather maintaining them.

Your Maverick is hybrid right? You shouldn't need to add solar charging to it. You should be able to though. The test for if you can plug into the 12VDC jack like mine is can you plug an accessory into the jack and it be powered with the car completely off.

Older Fords the DC jacks had constant power. This is a problem if you are running a load and don't charge the battery with the alternator. In my uses, it means I have a direct wire to the battery from inside the cabin without having to go to the fuse block. If you can power a phone charger with the DC jack without turning on the truck then you should be able to do the same.
There is no problem with the big lithium ion battery, don't have any need to charge that. It's the tiny (half the size of standard) 12v battery is always low though. They don't put full size batteries in hybrids, because they are not used to crank the engine, the electric motors do that with power from the big battery.

Ford is always taking data from the truck via LTE apparently, trying to do software updates and such, even if you turn off the Fordpass stuff (Ford's vehicle app). Cell signal strength is not great where I live and work, 1-2 bars max, so that could play a role. I know my phone drains faster with low signal, so I assume the trucks modem has the same problem. The truck hits the battery with all that until the battery falls to 50%, at which point it goes into what they call "Deep Sleep" to protect the battery. All the 12v system still hit that battery, so when I use the heated seats, steering wheel, radio, and such it is in use. I'm guessing it took a beating during the two months between when it was built, and when it arrived at my dealership. That and I guess driving 45-60 minutes a day isn't enough to keep these tiny 12v AGM batteries afloat? Never had problems in my Camry Hybrid, same size battery, but that was a very good Panasonic battery. Anyway, if I sit listening to the radio for 5 minutes a message pops up on the screen and says "Low battery, turn off or start the vehicle" type message. If you do nothing, it shuts itself off. When I first got it, I could listen to the radio through my 30 minute lunch break no problem, but not now.

There is no alternator in the hybrid, everything is done by the hybrid systems inverter. I believe the plugs, including the 400W inverter stay hot for 45 minutes after the ignition is turned off.