View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-02-10, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
The neat thing about these M2 rollouts is that they made the still super powerful/capable M1-based models even cheaper as refurbs.

The original M1 14" (16GB RAM/512GB SSD) was $1,999 new, as we all know. It showed up last summer in the refurb section for $1,799, a great price for what it was. Sometime this past fall, I saw where they somehow got knocked down to $1,709, out of nowhere. Now with the release of the new M2-based models, the M1-based 14" (8-core CPU, 14-core GPU with the base 16/512 RAM/SSD) is now $1,539!

If I'm working this calculator right, that's $460 off what it would've cost new...just three weeks ago. Ain't nothing bad about that.
And it's a damn fine Mac. I'm typing this on that thing (well, with more cores, RAM, and SSD)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
You can tell which Macs are selling and where they choose to put their time/resources...the notebooks!
Yeah. I wish we'd have some more predictability like with the iPhone (there's a new iPhone every fall, and a new iPhone SE every few years in spring), but… it kind of is that simple: they update what they can update, prioritized by for what models it makes the most sense. That could mean that the 2021 iMac isn't the hit they were hoping it might be, or that they looked at their priorities, and said, "y'know, we can skip the M2 generation on this one and it'll be fine".