View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-02-11, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Yeah, what's the real story here. I've read about how they use a single 256GB SSD in the entry models vs. two 128GB ones as before, and it's slower.

Real-world, noticeably slower to regular Air-type users (in what way, exactly) or is it one of those things the Internet has decided to collectively wet itself over? I don't know, I'm asking. Is it "for certain tasks" or just overall, day-to-day?

What, specifically, is slower?
The technical answer is that it's one physical chip rather than two running in parallel, if you don't upgrade the SSD.

The effect on performance depends on how oftne you need sustained high-bandwidth file transfers. The answer for many users is probably "not often". The answer for most users who don't also upgrade their SSD is probably "almost never".

You want more SSD speed? You probably also want more SSD capacity.

My only real criticism here is that Apple's online store should clarify this. Change the BTO options from:

256GB SSD storage

512GB SSD storage
+ $200.00

1TB SSD storage
+ $400.00

2TB SSD storage
+ $800.00

To

256GB SSD fast storage

512GB SSD fastest storage
+ $200.00

1TB SSD fastest storage
+ $400.00

2TB SSD fastest storage
+ $800.00

Done. A bit sneaky and euphemistic, but enough to make you realize "oh, the bigger ones are also faster".

Quote:
And slower coming from an M1
Yes.

Quote:
These new M2-based MacBook Pros don't do that, surely (one 512GB SSD vs. two 256GB on the entry level).
They do.

Quote:
Is it a cost-cutting thing, because the new mini is cheaper (but the new Air wasn't)? Or is it upsell tactics/shenanigans?
We don't know if it's a cost-cutting thing; another theory is that it's a supply chain thing, i.e. that Apple has been unable to source enough of the lower-capacity chips.