View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-06, 01:21

This is not so much a mistake as a wierd case of Murphy's Law that I am wondering if the rest of you have....

I am a backup freak.... I have never (franticaly touching head area - i.e. wood) actually lost an important project beacuse of corruption, file loss, drive failure etc..

As a by prouct of this 100% success rate at any one time I am fighting to keep my over 1 Terrabytes of storage on 8 hard drives less than 75% full on average.

This is because I make copies of stuff that I am working on from one drive to another... Then a bit later I will archive those and then make another backup... But just in case I will not delete the old backup.. You never know!

Then I will backup all that to another drive and think, well I'll just keep the most recent backup on this drive and perhaps a quick swap backup on my current drive in case I make a really dumb change and want to completely reset the project without delving into a backup...

You get the picture!

Every now and then I will do some housework.

Now...I never ever throw away old projects.. ( I have actually managed to bring myself to archive some stuff THAT IS NOT VERY IMPORTANT onto DVDs. I don't trust disc media for long term storage really.) He He. I even have some stuff from Sega which has worked it's way onto my G5 from an old Powerbook 170, through a 540c, to an old style optical RW disk (The 100MB ones) and then someway I cannot remember onto my 17" and finally the archive 250GB on my G5! This stuff is over 15 years old! I think it takes up a quantum-nibble on one of those drives.

I also have a project I did for a friend that has been published, sold, copyrighted and sold on again by them... which I kept in case they ever had a catastrophic failiure on their system!! I still won't get rid of it because I know there are a couple of concepts I might want to go look at! Duh!!

So.. I digress... Every now and then I will get close to 80% on some drives and think... OK.. Need to clean house.

I suppose my files are more kind of living baggage I take with me and I just keep needing to move to a bigger house...

Now I am anal about backups! But I am crap at keeping notes on backups!
So I never really know where anything is... Sometimes I find stuff I though I had lost..

You can tell I am just so excited about Tiger!! It's going to solve all my headaches!
I will know where everything is at the touch of a button...

Sorry... I digress again....

So I do some house keeping and agonize about throwing away some 50 gazillion MB file that has been sat gathering dust on my harddrive for years and as I click delete, or move it to the trash I think to myself (every time without fail)... "You haven't toucched that for years... but I bet next week you are going to find a need for it".

Oh, how I giggle to myself. How ludicrous!

But hey ho.. A week later I'll be working through something and think "Hmm.. Now I had that 'bit or bob'... Hmmm Where was it...."

"Doh!"

This happens several times a year.. No probably once a month....

Anyone else know what I am talking about?
Or should I just seek help?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt