View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-11, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I'm not entirely certain, especially since I don't know any of the mob formulas or frequencies or theories or whatever, but I feel like there must be an optimal location for the player to be located to give full-power to the giant mob trap.
I think bobsky did the maths on this one. Once the new trap is fully covered, is should be much more efficient. Last I checked, it was only about 1/4 plunged into darkness whereas the old trap was completely covered, at least completely covered near the trap center.

As for the optimal location to stand, mobs will not spawn horizontally within 24 blocks of you and will spawn up to ~72 blocks (varying by your location within a chunk) away from you, based on the code people have analyzed from previous versions of the game. It's assumed that beta 1.1 and 1.2 didn't change significantly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.