View Single Post
Mr. X

2004-12-28, 18:42

Hello, everyone. I could use some help...

My G3 iMac DV SE just turned four years old, and it's dying. I was hoping to get another year out of it, but after restarting it 20 times today while burning CD's and working on a term paper (college student here), I've pulled myself out of denial and realized the time has come. The online experience is becoming very frustrating, as well (web sites no longer work properly, outdated browsers, etc.)...I mean, here I am borrowing a Sony Vaio, and actually LIKING it!! OS9 has become so ancient that Windows XP is somewhat enjoyable for me. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

Being the college student that I am, I need to spend my money wisely. This is what I use my Mac for:

1) browsing the net / email
2) CD burning
3) iPod
4) 2-track analog editing (Spark, Peak, etc.)
5) MOTU 828 Firewire I/O (for transferring vinyl to CD-R)....this will have to wait, as I will now need to purchase new software that I can't afford after buying a new Mac...but I still need a computer that will handle this for the future....
6) Digital photos (for the day I can get afford a digital camera)

That's about it. I'm thinking G4 iBook. I'd really like a laptop, and PowerBooks are way out of my budget. Plus, the iBooks are the most recently updated Macs, so I won't be screwed for not being able to wait.

Can I trust RAM not purchased through Apple? How much RAM do I need? 14-inch G4 Combo drive iBook best value for me? Will I be able to get online out of the box (since Airport Extreme comes installed)...? (I'm in a home that uses LinkSys wireless network)....

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!