View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-01-29, 17:26

A while back I was listening during my commute to some lectures on CD that I checked out from the local library. I think they were "Great Courses" but I'm not sure.

What I discovered is that the distractions of driving made learning very difficult. I would hear what the guy was saying (I got the Reformation and Greek history, something like 8 CDs a course) and literally tell myself to concentrate, listen, listen, then all of a sudden it would be like 5 minutes later and I would have no idea what he was talking about. I'd back-up on the disc, and immediately do exactly the same thing. It would take me 3 or 4 tries just to get through a 15 minute section with some modicum of comprehension.

I don't know if the DVDs are more compelling (obviously you wouldn't be doing that in your car) but my guess is that whatever the quality of the course material, getting something out of it would require the same attentiveness and note-taking strategies that you would bring to a live lecture class. I believe there are also supplementary materials that probably help. I imagined I could get some info into my brain without having to devote special time to it; I was sadly mistaken.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated