Thread: Mac Pro Pricing
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-27, 16:02

Follow-up question (for anyone): does this thing cost what it does because it does, or because they can?

I know how it stacks up against other known, accepted high-end professional workstations and that, in some quarters, it's seen as a real bargain. But I'm not asking about that.

I'm asking, in and of itself, is it priced fairly/reasonably (weird, loaded question when talking about Apple), or are they asking what they hope they can get (and playing to the target demo, their purchasing budgets, etc.). Could this be priced cheaper, or is Apple "barely breaking even" (as if)?

Is there any legit reason(s) that display stand costs $999, other than "because we're Apple and we can ask that with a straight face"?

What, exactly, are people paying for? Performance? Expansion/upgradeability/"legs"? Stylish design? A bit of all three? When would a machine like this get replaced? Two years? Five? More? Or do high-end, successful firms make these sorts of purchases yearly?

Again, I'm not in the target market for this, so I have questions like this that I never have/would about an iMac, MacBook Air, etc. I know it's a whole other ballgame, etc.