View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-12-02, 14:39

TBF, it's not done cooking, yet, but I think they should have waited to release the trailer for at least another 3 months. Maybe in the March time-frame after the affects and score were a bit more ironed out?

The whole thing looks and feels about like the original Star Wars trailer (don't hate me for that). It feels so unfinished. Granted, the Star Wars trailer was trying to introduce audiences to en entirely new way to tell a Hollywood story and it was reaching for the, umm, stars, but it was still half-baked — and Lucas admitted to this at some point IIRC. Dial of Destiny looks worse than The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and feels childish, forced, graphically unimpressive, and — dare I say it — old! Perhaps that's because Harrison Ford just doesn't look the part any longer. And — what's this? — we have another surprise offspring-god-child sorta thing going on? Because we need to add a new sidekick to the story and oh by the way it's Lara Croft some random brunette no one knows or cares about?

Sadly, this is a movie that doesn't need to be made — and it appears that Disney put very little thought into it. And, come on, are we still dancing with that tired, old Nazi theme? And will there be more Russians?

I'll watch it on Disney+ at some point, but I just can't be bothered to waste 50 bucks on this mess at the theater.

Disney would be better served (and better serving) were they to take the franchise to an 8-part series in the image of The Mandalorian, and put it in the hands of some real fans-turned directors who would dig into what made the franchise so viable and popular in the first place, and play with new characters/adventures where Harrison Ford might drop in and out in a kind of father-figure way like Sean Connery, aka Henry Jones, did in The Last Crusade. I could see several random characters from the past — like Short Round — whose later adventures could be inspiring, martial-artsy, and fun, without having to lean on an 80+-year old Indian Jones that can't run trying to flip-jump over yet another scary rockcavernevilmonster.

Give me Short Round: An Indiana Jones Story* over this flaming turd — any day!

* Wait until Episode 4 or 5 and then bring Harrison Ford in to give guidance or make an ex machine rescue or something. Otherwise, retire that old bird!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)