View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-02, 21:15

Guys, I hate to say it... but I think it is time for the party to be over.

It is hard to believe I have been hosting the Minecraft server for more than 12 years now. It all started with a bare metal install on an old Dell R300 (that has since been donated to TCC's computer club), Lenny.

Since then it has been moved and upgraded along the way and ended up in a virtual machine. During that time you guys chipped in for hardware upgrades that made the server more enjoyable. Right now is is on the big black machine in the lower right, Volstagg.

Volstagg is running an "ancient" i7-6700K with multiple SSD and 64GB of RAM. It is also running ESXi which is how the VM for "anmc7" is managed.

We spent many hours together, and individually building and playing. Sharing resources and just helping each other out with community builds as well as our own personal projects. Members have come and gone from the server with a few that have been around until now. I also built and published mapping for our server along the way. Google took away their API so we can't even look at the old maps now.

Personally, I have moved from Va Beach where I had FiOS to now the sticks of north western SC in the foothills. I have horrible internet but one hell of a great view. My personal life is so much more enjoyable too. I didn't gain more time to get back into MC though.

Time marches on and rather than letting this languish with my inattention and old (soon to be retired) hardware I'm going to say we need to pull the plug. My internet connection is total garbage right now and this isn't helping. I'm still under the threat that I"m going to have AT&T terminate my VDSL at any time forcing me to move to cellular or Starlink for internet services. This will not work with anything inbound where I happen to host a number of services.

Of course, if Brad wants to move the game to the applenova.com server that would be awesome for 709, who is the one consistent player who will be impacted the most.

I'm avoiding giving a drop dead date for when I'm going to shutdown the VM. I think it would be worth it for those who are interested to be able to log in again to be able to do so before I shut it down. I'm also very open to making the world files available for download. Then you all can visit the old worlds all you want on your local machines.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2023-05-02 at 21:47.