View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-06-04, 18:14

If we're recalling all the fun places we've been recently, my tales are pretty boring. In the professional world, I've bounced between a few tech companies in the Raleigh-Durham area over the last few years, most recently settling in at Red Hat where I'm building cloud server monitoring software. On the personal side, my wife and I have just been living a low-key quiet life, occasionally taking short trips out of town but more often hitting the local library and going for walks in various nearby parks. Thrilling!!!

I'm also still a full-time Apple user (even Red Hat gives developers the option of choosing a MacBook for the job!), and every bit of my day-to-day computing activities are done on Apple devices. Although I check the news and occasionally peek at MacRumors headlines, I am far away from touching the bleeding edge of Apple tech. At home I'm still rockin' an eight-year-old Hackintosh, a 2015 MBP (which I pray never dies), and an iPhone 6S. No watch. No tv. No… uh… speaker thing?

I recently had to replace my engine mounts, and I realized that I've been driving the same car for literally half of my life. On one hand, jeeeeesus I'm boring. On the other hand, I have this strange pride of keeping my car alive and seeing it outlast so many other things that have passed me by.

Social media. Social media never changes. I have token accounts in a few places for lurking, but I never post. I've yet to find a place with a community that felt as honest and meaningful as this one did fifteen years ago. AppleNova may be the one holdout to prove that some old communities never die; they just fade away. At least until one day I forget to update my credit card and the hosting service lapses!

Is Minecraft still a thing for anyone? It's still fun to jump on turtle's server from time to time, wander around a bit, maybe dig a hole and build a thing. Since we're all in the reunion spirit, perhaps we should put an old fashioned new-world runaround on the calendar some time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.