View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-06-05, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
… but more often hitting the local library and going for walks in various nearby parks. Thrilling!!!
Both are far better for you than this computer crap! I used to rush home from work and jump on the computer. Now, I prefer to get outside, walk in the garden, mow the lawn, swing a hammer.

Quote:
I'm also still a full-time Apple user (even Red Hat gives developers the option of choosing a MacBook for the job!), and every bit of my day-to-day computing activities are done on Apple devices. Although I check the news and occasionally peek at MacRumors headlines, I am far away from touching the bleeding edge of Apple tech. At home I'm still rockin' an eight-year-old Hackintosh, a 2015 MBP (which I pray never dies), and an iPhone 6S. No watch. No tv. No… uh… speaker thing?
With Mojave, for the first time since being a Mac user I have no compatible devices (other than my late 2012 Mac Mini). All my other computers are going to be obsolete. Although I do have an iPhone X. —which for a guy who hates cellphones is silly! (It's my wife's fault. She made me do it! )

Quote:
I recently had to replace my engine mounts, and I realized that I've been driving the same car for literally half of my life. On one hand, jeeeeesus I'm boring. On the other hand, I have this strange pride of keeping my car alive and seeing it outlast so many other things that have passed me by.
Helluva task for a geeky nerd-dude. But, you do make your own shields and body armor, so …

Quote:
I've yet to find a place with a community that felt as honest and meaningful as this one did fifteen years ago. AppleNova may be the one holdout to prove that some old communities never die; they just fade away.
Applenova has always felt genuine. Back in 2014 when I was hunting for a forum, I signed up over on AI just before I found this joint. AN felt more "homey". Always has. I still lurk on AI and even leave a [not very often] occasional post, but that place feels like a giant advertisement and the posts feel like they're all made by 12 year-olds.

The best part of it is the intelligent conversation—including the heated arguments—which you cannot get on most social media outlets. And that's what I think has changed. People in general have gotten too busy for intelligent online conversation. There's too little time in the day. At the risk of getting "political", you know it's bad when even the POTUS can dispell policy with a 20-word tweet. Can we not be bothered any longer?

Quote:
At least until one day I forget to update my credit card and the hosting service lapses!
*POOF*

Don't do it, Brad. Don't let the AI guys say "I told you so"!

Quote:
Is Minecraft still a thing for anyone? It's still fun to jump on turtle's server from time to time, wander around a bit, maybe dig a hole and build a thing. Since we're all in the reunion spirit, perhaps we should put an old fashioned new-world runaround on the calendar some time.
Summer is the worst time for me, but if it can be arranged, I'll sure try.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)