View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-15, 19:11

Nah, my presence/input isn't required for anything. If folks like you, 709, Robo, turtle, Capella, drewprops and a dozen or more others who've always participated heavily in Star Wars-related threads had interesting, exciting stuff to discuss - and look forward to - this thread wouldn't have been dormant for two-and-a-half months, leading up to what should be the most talked-about, hyped and anticipated Star Wars movie ever.

Which means my initial point stands: I just don't think anyone really gives a rip at this point. Not in the volume (both kinds) and fervor you'd expect to see, 35 days out. And that's going to translate into some eye-opening (and head-rolling) numbers come December 20 (and the weeks following).

People simply are not talking about this the way they were four years ago (or even, to a point, two years ago...you know, back when everyone thought that The Last Jedi might've been the Empire of this trilogy).

It wasn't even the Holiday Special.

The Last Jedi didn't earn what it should've/could've. And I think this thing is on the same sort of course. I'm sure it'll do a bit better simply because people want to see how it all ends. But I think it'll come in far below what it would have had several things been done differently the past 3-4 years.

And there will always be a scapegoat or three when the dust settles. They just can't do this kind of thing right now, on the eve of the movie's release. That would send the wrong kind of signal, big time. But, come the new year, I do think some folks will be packing their desks at Disney/Lucasfilm. Or, at the very least, shuffled over to non-Star Wars-related projects/duties. I think "clean slate" will be the thinking/buzzword.

If this Mandalorian show pans out, perhaps the future of Star Wars will be in long-form, episodic TV? Both live action and animation? The world has changed; maybe two-hour movies every 2-3 years just isn't how people want to experience this property anymore? I don't know. I'm always up for a good SW movie but I don't think it's possible from this current bunch. If Rise of Skywalker craps the bed, and The Mandalorian turns out to be a genuine, enjoyable thing, then yeah...maybe Disney/Lucasfilm look down that road? Isn't Ewan McGregor on board for some Obi-Wan show? That sounds cool to me. Get good, likable actors, write good stuff for them to say and do...and so much of the rest kinda takes care of itself. People will tune in and support a solid, well-written show. That's never changed. Maybe they're laying some sort of future groundwork with this Disney+ thing? They control the production, but also the release and how/where it goes out into the world. Like the Post Office, I can see the traditional multiplex, as we know it, going bye-bye in my lifetime. Certainly within the lifetime of my teenaged niece and nephew.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-11-15 at 19:31.