View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-02, 14:31

Rian Johnson probably would've/could've made a decent Star Wars movie had his primary goal/approach wasn't to "subvert expectations" and crap all over 40 years.

Hell, I could make a good SW movie if I knew the sandbox I was in and the established "rules" and how I needed to behave. Rian was the brat down the street who came over, uninvited, and kicked all the sand out, broke the toys, and then tried to convince us he was doing something cool that we should appreciate (if only we weren't such meanies and "haters"). He turned into a real hyper-defensive, snarky twat once it was clear folks weren't buying into his little $200M student film.

As for his assigned trilogy, I've honestly not heard a peep about that in some time. As long as he's not mangling the established trilogy/characters, he can make whatever he wants. I just think he wasn't the right person/tone for the all-important middle-installment.

He might've been a better fit for one of the standalone, anthology movies where you could maybe deviate a bit in tone/approach and you're not tied to seven previous movies? I've thought that for a while...he might've made a good Rogue One, especially on the darker aspects and the Vader stuff? But I swear, it's as though the man has never seen a Star Wars movie in 40 years and then magically just got handed the keys to an actual trilogy installment, based on...?

I'm telling you, in the coming years there will be a book (or documentary) about this period - from the $4B purchase to The Rise of Skywalker and any ensuing fallout/head-rolling/desk-clearing. And when it does, it'll be quite the read! Names will be named, we'll hear about all the goofy stuff that went on behind the scenes (my Abrams/Kennedy phone calls above may prove to be eerily prescient ), the firings, rewrites, fan backlash, casting woes, bad testings, the higher-ups demanding various reshoots, pushback from Hamill (he's contractually obligated to swallow it all, for now, but you know at some point he's going to get tired of squawking about the President on Twitter 24/7 and focus his ire elsewhere, and when he does it ain't gonna be pretty). You can tell he was thoroughly not on board with TLJ at all.

There's a montage on YouTube of all the times he's bit his tongue, been a bit passive-aggressive with his displeasure, stating his outright disagreement about how Luke has been handled, particularly in TLJ, etc. When the Disney shackles are finally off, he's gonna go nuts and go on some massive rants/tirades. He'll probably wind up getting the David Prowse treatment, and barred from the conventions, official appearances/PR, etc. Prowse merely pissed off Lucas. Can you imagine getting on the bad side of Disney?! Mickey don't play.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-02 at 14:53.