View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-02, 13:33

...and in No Shit, Tell Us Something We Didn't Know news, The Rise of Skywalker was rushed and is a bunch of fan-service, according to the film's editor.

Kinda disheartening to read how moviemaking is dictated by release dates/marketing reasons. Could this have been a better, stronger (and more coherent) movie if maybe they'd kicked it out until May (historically a pretty good time for SW to be released to the world), and they put in a little more work? Who knows. But this article proves there was a flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants/cobbling-it-together-as-you-went aspect to the production, as I've suspected/said. They didn't sit in a traditional editing bay for a decent amount of time and maybe think about, or try different, approaches. Or maybe even view it all in a "big picture" way before going to work on it? It seems it was "Action! Cut! How's this? Print. Next!" affair, editing/making big decisions in the field, in real time. That can't be an ideal approach for this kind of movie.

And it shows, IMO.

A kangaroo on PCP might've put together a more nuanced, better-flowing and easier-to-follow movie. But don't hold me to that...I'm merely speculating, based on my limited knowledge of marsupials and angel dust.

As for the final paragraph:

Quote:
One of the biggest complaints thrown at “Rise of Skywalker” is that the movie is pure fan service, which is not a claim Brandon will try to fight. “Look, sure, it’s fan service,” the editor said, “[but] if you didn’t service the fans, it would be, ‘Oh, he didn’t go along with the history of ‘Star Wars’ and what it all means.’”
Yeah, but you managed to botch both. Congrats.