View Single Post
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-02, 20:11

Think about looking at Apple's Mac OSX pages to find out more about your new future operating system (scroll down to the "Panther" information—Panther or OSX 10.3 is Apple's latest version of its OS—"Tiger" is the upcoming version expected Q1 2005).

Look at this screenshot to give yourself some idea of the folder organisation in Mac OSX:

The users "Home" folder (I have called mine "Me") is a folder designed for the storage of all your digital information. The pre-installed version of Panther will have some default folders within the Home folder including Music, Pictures, Documents and so on. You can add/delete folders at your convenience. The only area on your Mac that is restricted to Admin user access is the System Folder, which contains essential information to make your computer run!

Mac OSX applications such as iTunes, Mail and Safari store details that they need and that are specific to your usage in the Library folder of your Home folder (shorthand: ~/Library where ~ stands for your Home folder).

You can see in my screenshot a folder named "test". This actually represents another user's Home folder in the same way that "Me" represents mine. test's Home folder contains all of the default folders that "Me"does. Details that applications need and that are specific to test's usage are stored in test/Library. So you can see that several users can share the same applications while keeping their own personal settings (called "Preferences" in OSX terminology).

HTH

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-02-02 at 20:20.