View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-29, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Jesus Christ Paul! Do you realize that Apple does do a ton of advertising and that the only reason the platform still does exist is because the job Apple is doing is extremely effective. Take a look at how many times Apple's name is mentioned int he news, even if the news is about the iPod, the name Apple is always being talked up...and positively.
It's all iPod, isn't it? Pretty much?

Quote:
There are commercials, Apple Stores, billboards, magazine and print ads, cover stories in major news publications, and mail inserts too.
See previous answer.

Quote:
What else could they do, that they arent doing?
Don't ask such a coy, knuckleheaded question...you've been around AppleInsider long damn enough to know exactly what I've talked about they "could be doing". Pay attention, I don't feel like saying it all AGAIN.

I'm glad the iPod is a success. Honestly. I wish they could put 1/5 of that effort into, say, the operating system, maybe? iLife? The consumer-level stuff. The great "whole widget" thing that makes them unique.

I'm not asking Apple to "hold anyone's hand". I'm asking them to realize they have a superior solution and offering, and act accordingly.

Yeah, some people will never get it, no matter what. That's very true. But some people simply don't even know enough or even THINK of Apple to even be able to make that secondary decision. That's what I'm talking about. There's that whole middle-ground of people out there, not terribly happy with Windows but not sure what else is there. When they hear "Apple" or "Macs", their thoughts swirl around System 6 or 7, old systems they used in college or "those funky artists computers that I can't use Microsoft Office on".

There is a decade-plus vault of myths and misinformation Apple could consider addressing, since, in my experience that seems to be the largest hurdle for most normal, rational people considering a Mac. All the crap their co-workers and brother-in-law has told them for years and years, people who haven't touched a Mac beyond OS 8.1, and that was, oh, two times? And because their printer jammed or whatever, they've automatically attributed their less-than-ideal experience to "them damn Macs" (and not the jamming printer or frayed cable or whatever), and have made it a point to tell everyone they know a bunch of baseless bullcrap for a decade or so.

If I ran Apple, yeah I'd realize that some sectors were a lost cause. But you can bet your ass that I'd level the playing field by making really sure that regular, non-Mac geek people out there know the facts, know that things like Office are on Macs, that networking, video-chatting, digital photos and music and video are all easier to manage and work with on the platform, etc.

That's what they're not doing, Chris.

For proof, go ask some non-Mac-using friends, co-workers and family members some basic questions like I talk about above and note their responses. Do they mesh with reality remotely, or reflect a modern OS X/21st Century state-of-the-Mac and Apple? If so, great...but it wasn't from any efforts on Apple's part. Probably just hanging around you and hearing you talk of it.

But you can't be everywhere.