View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-30, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
im with messiatosh on this one, he basically nails it.

pscates, while, you're suggestions seem like an improvement, i think you lack an understanding of advertising. not saying i understand it, but there is certainly an effective strategy at hand in apple's marketing. many of your ideas seem appealing to us and appear to show more of the mac advantage but in all honesty....they would do shit to get people's attention and they would do shit to sell products.
Well for being someone who claims to also not "understand it", you certainly speak with authority, and seem to know what would - and wouldn't - "do shit". A fascinating leap.

I don't know anything about dinosaurs, but I guess I could go bug some people on a dig and Montana and inform them that they're going about it all wrong.

Do you have any sort of real, valid reason to think any of this? You like the idea Apple hasn't touted or shown-off their OS or hardly any hardware (other than the iPod, of course) with any sort of strength or focus?

To me, Apple's marketing strategy seems to be this:

• iPod
• People might accidentally wander into one of our stores, IF, of course, they're fortunate enough to live in or near a city that has one
• If you live in a large enough city (Frisco, NYC, etc.?), you might get treated to some billboards as you drive by at 75mph.
• Full page ad in Macworld, where all the non-Mac-using people are known to lurk in the largest numbers.

But you're right, 'nut. Nothing I say means shit. Those dwindling numbers, those are just hard facts of life that Apple can't - and shouldn't - do anything about, lest they look "mean" or "aggressive" or *gasp* like they're trying to SELL something and tout their wares.

"IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHAT COMPANY WOULD EVER STOOP TO SUCH VILE, CRASS MEASURES? WHY, IT'S UNHEARD OF, THIS, HOW YOU SAY...'ADVERTISING". IT'S THE WORK OF THE DEVIL, I SAY! AND I SHALL HAVE NO PART OF IT!"

Each of your posts above get goofier and more out of the touch than the previous one. And here you are, a "nut" on the very subject. I expected more.

Detached smugness and leaving everything else up to chance...now THERE'S a proper marketing approach we can all learn from!

uh, wait...

Last edited by Brad : 2004-07-30 at 08:14. Reason: don't provoke, kids.