View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-08, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Remember before the iPad was officially unveiled, in days and weeks leading up, we were all talking about prices in the $799 and up range.

It blew our taters when that "$499" graphic dropped into place. I about fell out of my chair, as that was easily $400 or so below what I'd prepared myself for.
And I was all, "I don't think the mass market is about to drop $800+ on a computer with no keyboard," and then Apple announced the $499 iPad with a keyboard dock and I bought it on day one.

Not one of my prouder moments. But I got the name right, at least! Before the announcement everybody was calling it the slimy-sounding iSlate, god knows why. (And on just the rumor of this being the name of Apple's offering, everybody at CES was suddenly referring to their tablet PCs as slate PCs.) And then Apple announced the iPad, and everybody made jokes,* and now nobody even remembers those jokes because they're too busy buying iPads.

*Shortly after buying an iPad I mentioned to my brother that I had one and he was all "lol, iTampon" and I was like, dude, I'm an Apple nerd. That joke was old before the iPad was even announced. And he was all "Well, not all of us are nerds...nerd!"

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong