View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-14, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Microsoft had monopoly power over an entire industry. Apple does not. Apple only have a "monopoly" over their own products (in which they are a minority player).

While it is true that the App Store holds a "monopoly" within the ecosystem, it will be interesting to see how that plays out in the courts. If the App Store is a monopoly, then so would be Epic's "monopoly" over the resale of power-ups within their own ecosystem (Fortnite). Should Apple be forced to open up the iPhone to other stores, then so should Epic be forced to open up Fortnite to 3rd-party power-up stores.
I cannot say I feel bad for Epic, or EA or any of the others who want to take 100% of the pie. Some of the choices Apple has made, like booting third party apps that have better versions of included features, does not sit well with me though.

Apple already lost the case in Russia, no shocker there, but I suspect the cases in the EU will go the same way. In the US, chances are 50/50 either way, depends on the judges.

I for one don’t really care, haven’t paid for anything through the App Store in years. Haven’t installed a new app I years either, most of it’s crap anyway.