View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 14:45

MacRumors article on it.

A few things...

Quote:
First, the Messages app on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac will be getting a new Communication Safety feature to warn children and their parents when receiving or sending sexually explicit photos. Apple said the Messages app will use on-device machine learning to analyze image attachments, and if a photo is determined to be sexually explicit, the photo will be automatically blurred and the child will be warned.

When a child attempts to view a photo flagged as sensitive in the Messages app, they will be alerted that the photo may contain private body parts, and that the photo may be hurtful. Depending on the age of the child, there will also be an option for parents to receive a notification if their child proceeds to view the sensitive photo or if they choose to send a sexually explicit photo to another contact after being warned.
I know "busy parents can't be everywhere", but is this really the job of Apple? I'm on record, for years now, questioning whether "kids" need iPhones. But that Crest is out of the tube at this point, I realize.

Quote:
Second, starting this year with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Apple will be able to detect known Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) images stored in iCloud Photos, enabling Apple to report these instances to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), a non-profit organization that works in collaboration with U.S. law enforcement agencies.
Not that I want these bozos to do a better job, but what kind of moron would keep such things in the cloud to start with? Anyone that stupid deserves to get caught and in trouble.

On a separate note - just so they're doing all they can to protect themselves and make it harder for the lowlifes of the world - I've hounded my sister for years to consider how much access she and her husband give their kids (my niece and nephew, now 18 and 16 respectively), to no avail. I shudder to think what my niece and nephew have seen over the years, especially since they both had iPhones from 10-12 years of age, with zero parental controls/limitations on them, much to my dismay.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-05 at 15:01.