View Single Post
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-08, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilswan
this isn't meant as a personal criticism, because i take your point and agree. it's just... as an outsider just coming into the world of mac, where for years mac fans have been talking about how powerpc whups the pentiums ass, seeing us all discussing how moving to the pentium is going to provide more processing power is really, really weird! and funny.
Off topic:

And it was largely true during the early G4 and G5 years, these were landmarks in chip design and led the industry. The G5 "fastest in the world" marketing scheme was valid at the time of release. The only problem... stagnation of the the PowerPc line, first by Motorola and secondly by IBM. This in turn allows for the Intel architecture (not just the Pentiums) to catch up and surpass most of the PowerPC lineup. So the smart money has become to go with Intel, and move forward.

On topic:

The "i" moniker for software is on the way out. Apple killed the iMac G3 colored computer line and made the new G4s more minimalist in white due to increasing bastardization of the commercial world of cute translucent colored plastic products (e.g. George Foreman grills, microwaves, etc.). This is really the same case with the i product name. Too many different use in all the wrong places. Needs to go, except for iconic software and hardware. Welcome to the new compound name naming scheme...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.