View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-08, 15:03

Thanks for you replies, guys. Especially Yonzie for the thorough guide to the paranoid life. However, I'm too fond of getting drunk to abide to it. But I've downloaded the Little Brother novel. Banana's point about the original intentions of the internet have also been taken to heart.

I'd also agree with Brad on Google. In fact that's why I stopped using my Gmail, well in principle .Mac could be just as bad, but at least it's not it's stated modus operandi to profile it's users.

A thing that also struck out at me from the replies here is that people seem to have different ideas of what is most important in respect to privacy. Personally, I'm most concerned with commercial logging, and old-fashioned traffic analysis which can't be defeated by SSL and other forms of encryption. The latter looks at who you are talking to and not so much what is being said. It's pretty obvious that if you spend a lot of time communicating with your net-bank, then you might be a good target for some money related advertisements.

Now that I think about it; it also baffles me to no end that email is still sent unencrypted unless you have some plug-in installed that needs to be present on both ends.