View Single Post
rampancy

2009-01-19, 11:24

This isn't a non-tech/AO-type of question per se, since it involves a Power Mac G4 MDD, but it's not dealing specifically with the innards, so...

I'm really stuck on a stripped screw - specifically, the bottom screw which helps to secure the optical drive carrier to the metal tray support. When I got this used MDD, it didn't come with one, so I decided to just use a screw I had lying around...

Anyway, it's stuck, and stuck good, and my repeated attempts to remove it ended up leaving the head (it was a Philips' head, the kind with the "+" slot) totally FUBAR'd. So, anyone know how to remove such an annoyance? I've been told that drilling is a solution, but apparently, it's a last resort-type of solution, and the one drill I have access to here at my lab doesn't have a chuck key...

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi