View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-02, 22:07

Minecraft 1.2 has Yet Another Terrain Engine Update, and that means it's time for us to start a new world. This much you already know!

With this new world, though, will come some new policy changes. I've been discussing these ideas with a coworker (and fellow gamer) over the past several weeks, and I've mentioned them to a few people in-game recently. Now that we're on the cusp of the new world, it's time to make these public knowledge.

#1. No teleportation! TerraNova diffused so much that we never formed a real central, community area. Teleportation makes sprawl too easy and I'm sure that it contributed to everyone picking plots of land far away from each other. When you can instantly travel to any part of the world, collaborating on central facilities (shelters, roads, farms, storage/exchange) has little value. If you want to travel to some distant land (within reason), I won't stop you, but know that you'll probably be all alone.

#2. No god powers! This also means no OP status (including me). Anything that really requires OP status can be done from the command-line if needed, and those times should be rare (updating whitelist, restarting server, etc). Some of you guys have gotten bent out of shape with the use of OP creative mode in TerraNova; so, we're going to give this a try. I hope that this will resolve some of those tensions.

#3. No mandatory land claims! Just use some common sense courtesy here. If you're going to erect a structure very close to someone else, just ask if it's OK. If you're going to mine/build some plot that's not immediately adjacent to others, have at it! We shouldn't need to reserve slots, especially since claims made in advance of being used "right now" tend to get forgotten anyway. This also goes for "community" areas. With the terraformed desert in the last world, people were dissuaded from "wasting" the area. That's just completely unnecessary. Unused land is free for taking unless a strong majority of players feels otherwise.

#4. Creative Day! But I just said no god powers! Yes, on a regular basis, perhaps every Saturday or Sunday, anyone will be allowed to use creative mode to bang out some fun building projects. If you don't want to use creative mode, you can certainly opt-out and stay in survival mode. On creative days, please be mindful of other "legit" projects. If you plan to construct something large or ostentatious, please take it away from the general populace. I know that having creative mode opens up the potential for resource hoarding, but I'm going to start with no countermeasures to prevent hoarding. I only ask that you use creative mode responsibly. If I find people are abusing creative mode, I will revoke the privilege.

The rest of the old rules still basically apply. Close the door behind yourself. Don't demolish others' structures. Mine away from others' structures. And cetera. I'll update the guidelines shortly, or maybe turn this post into a Guidelines 2.0...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.