View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-15, 08:46

I began playing before "tabs" came into vogue, so mine was just all ear and listening. I'm glad that was the case, because 25+ years later, I think I can "hear" stuff - and anticipate things better - than many younger people (or even guys my age) who did the straight tabs, rote "lick learning" and Internet-based stuff.

It's funny...I'll watch guitarists who post videos of themselves on YouTube. Some are really good and fun to watch. And I read through the comments and, without fail, there will always be someone who'll post "dude, you got a tab for that?" and I'm always like "it's right there in front of you! You can hear it, and you can see both of his hands...learn it, goober! I wish I had such a cool, 'in your face' tool when I was 13. You've got a video, with sound...what the hell do you want with a 'tab'? Get off your ass and use your head, and ears, a bit..."

Train that ear. Learn songs (structured, chord-changing songs...not endless "riffs" in E minor or blues vamping in A). There's nothing better than an ear that can hear (and anticipate) changes, can tell a major from a minor chord (and where something's going, based on the tension or build). I'll hear a song, to this day, on the radio - something I've never heard - and within a verse and a chorus, I've already got the structure in my head (and sometimes the key...E and G just "sound" a certain way to me, and I can often tell those, or anchor off that and realize "okay, he's in C...".

Learn songs, learn chords. Get your left hand to the point where you can change chords and shapes without thinking (otherwise, what's the point?). Don't be a noodler. Walk before you run. I probably "played" for a solid 2-3 years (starting at 11 or 12) before it really dawned on me to attempt licks and leads and solos. I was having such a good time playing complete Beatle (and Buddy Holly...no, seriously!) songs - the chords and so forth - that I was in no hurry to get into Harrison's licks until I felt like I had a nice foundation and platform. And you know what? It was easier then, and it meant something because the notes and patterns made some sort of sense to me, based on the chords they were riding on. That's when it all began to "click" for me, about 3-4 years into playing, around the time I turned 15 or so.

The world doesn't need any more shredders and noodlers who know nothing other than disjointed "hot licks". Those things are fine, but if you can't sit, with an acoustic guitar and no effects or distortion, and play a simple Van Morrison or Tom Petty song for friends or a chick, nobody's gonna care. Nobody wants to sit and listen to someone endlessly wank around on the 14th fret. But you whip out "Into the Mystic" or "The Waiting" - and it sounds like the record and the way everyone knows it - you're halfway there, and everyone instantly kinda digs you.

"Do you know 'The Joker'? 'Cecelia'? What about 'Allison Road'?"

"Well, as a matter of fact...".