View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-22, 19:48

It gets more interesting.

So I found a negative review on Amazon that suggested weak solder joints as the cause for defects:

Quote:
Background info: My controller broke after about a week of use. It worked fine for the first week, then it was completely unrecognized by my computer. For a USB device to interface with your computer, the device's internal circuitry must be completely intact and functioning properly. I verified that something was wrong with the device and not my computer by typing the "lsusb" command into the linux terminal, letting me see all the connected USB devices. The controller, (listed as "ID 0583:2060 Padix Co., Ltd (Rockfire)" in linux), did not appear. To figure out if it's not connected if you're using OSX, you can type "system_profiler SPUSBDataType" into the terminal and press enter.

Now, if your controller is not connected period, here's how a fix that worked for me: unscrew the 5 back screws and open up the controller. Carefully remove the circuit board, taking special care to ease out the circuits for the shoulder buttons. Now, take a soldering iron and gently resolder all of the connections to the board. Luckily the problem seems to have to do with poor solder joints and nothing to do with a bad IC. It's not the most convenient fix, but it worked for me!
I took mine apart, plugged it in "naked", and it was recognized! I put it back together, it disappeared! After some fiddling, I discovered that when the case is closed or you apply gentle pressure near the cable, that causes the signal to totally drop out.

Even though the cable connector looks properly soldered, I'm going to warm up the old iron and try re-soldering it...

(Times like this are when I really wish I had a multimeter.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.