View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-02-19, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I drove all the way from London to Edinburgh in a rental car with a manual transmission, first time driving on the wrong side of the road in the wrong side of the car. And I didn't hit anybody or anything!
First, did you pick up your rental car at the airport? Then, did you leave London right away, or did you actually...eek!... *drive in London* for a few days? Did you pay the congestion fee?

Did they have any automatic-transmission cars available, or did you even bring the subject up?

Had you reserved your rental online ahead of time?

Was there a lot of road construction going on around the airport that provided an "extra challenge" for your first few minutes of driving on the 'other' side of the road, on the 'other' side of the car, and shifting with your...*gulp*... left hand?

I thought Moogs told me he got an automatic-transmission rental car when he was in the UK, but I may be mistaken.

Did you have any close calls (wrt accidents)? Did anyone get angry and flip you off for driving too slowly?

Really, I'm *very* interested in your experience driving a rental car over there. If you'd rather PM me about it, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance, if you can find the time for answering some of my many questions.