View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-02-19, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I thought people with US licenses had to get an automatic in England no matter what because of the shifting issue.
I wish that would be true, but apparently it isn't, in view of Xaqtly's experience.

The online-booking process for UK rental cars that I'm familiar with didn't mention anything about automatic-transmissions being available, and there was no place during the booking process to ask a question about that. So you're booking blind, in terms of this hugely important feature.

Well, I was looking in the "C" range of cars, which was the highest price range I was considering. If I had been able to find out for 'sure' that the "D" range provided automatics, I guess I'd have sprung for that, in view of the fact that one's life is at stake, imo.

Quote:
I certainly hope that they wouldn't let people who have never shifted with their left hand while driving on the opposite side of the road get a manual transmission.
I would hope that too. It just seems such an incredible hazard to take already-crowded summer roads and add in the odd foreigner who is unfamiliar with driving the car and the roads. Xaqtly did well, it appears; but I'm speaking of so many others who might not fare so well (like myself ).

Xaqtly, thank you so *very* much for your wonderfully complete answer to everything I asked. I am very grateful for your time and effort.

I was just looking at the first pic you posted, and was wondering where one would pull off the road if they had a flat tire? Is there enough room to change a tire on that grassy verge? It's hard to tell how wide it is.

Also, a question to you Brits, do you guys have anything like AAA over there, where a member can call for assistance to get a tire changed? And if so, do you know whether a foreign visitor could get a membership?

(AAA is the American Automobile Association, and provides emergency assistance to motorists with memberships.)