View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-06-16, 02:12

So I am a geek and want my home to have all the nice features of a modern home. One such way would be to add controls for lighting and other basic devices from my iPhone/Touch. Wouldn't it be nice to be in bed and realize it's cooled off outside making it just a little too cool to leave the A/C on. Reach over, grab the phone and turn off the A/C, or turn the temp up on it so it doesn't run.

Maybe I want to turn the ceiling fan on in the family room, or the deck lights off in the back yard. You get the idea.

I know there a few ways this can be done but I'm looking for something the add into a house built in 1960. All the electrical wiring has been upgraded because of a lightening strike. I know X10 claims to do some of this, but I've always seen them as a company designed to help you put a camera in your bathroom, or in the bathroom of a sorority house.

Smarthome advertises a similar home automation product line that includes an option for iPhone/Touch control. This is inline with what I'm looking for. What I'm wondering is what are the options out there for home automation. Google turns up many options but I'm curious if any of you have used something that works.

At some point I'm sure I can run Cat6 cables so an option that uses data lines isn't out of the question. I'm going to have to build up too because as it stands I'm going to have to buy most of the appliances in the new home too since the seller is taking the ones in there now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.