View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-01, 20:53

I now have all of my exterior lights on Z-Wave switches! I was looking for options when I found that Lowes (US chain hardware store) carries the exact same ones I've been using for less even though they are branded slightly different!

This is a great example. Seems Lowes has a brand called Iris that's a competitor to SmartThings if I read the lit correctly. Turns out that the bulk of the stuff is Z-Wave and made by the same people who made the GE/Jasco branded ones.

I even added an outlet that one socket is controlled so I can disconnect power to my little AC unit that supplements the cooling of my playroom. I'm pretty happy about this stuff.

Though I don't get why they made the outlet to use stranded wire (not copper) when they know we are going to be wire nutting it down to solid 14AWG wires? The wire nuts they provided in that were horrible too. At least I had some of my own.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.