View Single Post
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2014-07-17, 12:13

Just discovered this thread, checking in on AN to see who's still around. It's hard to believe that Turtle started this thread over five years ago!

I have limited myself to running two Nest thermostats as well as a Belkin WeMo switch for the pendant light in the kitchen, while planning a major remodel of my house. Construction is about to start in earnest within the next couple of weeks. So Apple's recent announcement of HomeKit and this thread are very timely. This makes hardwiring a real necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
[Running data lines] is the biggest hold-up for me. I want to run Cat6a and better quality solid-copper RG6 in my walls without cutting through the drywall, but that's not going to happen. The existing low-voltage wires weren't run through conduits and are stapled in place. Some of the new runs would be pretty impossible to fish blindly.
My neighbors across the street, who newly built a modernist house from scratch, wired everything with Cat6. While I was originally going to rely on WiFi for my own house, their Cat6 got me thinking. I also have some old cinderblock and brick walls, which do an excellent job of shielding radio signals, especially the high-frequency (Ghz) signals used by modern wireless networks.

While I was planning the renovation and working out the logistical details for the past two years, I ran a single Cat5 Ethernet cable from my FiOS modem and AirPort base at the front of the house to a second AirPort towards the back of the house. This improved WiFi dramatically throughout the house as well as garden. Plus the TV, which is in the back of the house, is now hardwired, rather than relying on WiFi. That single Ethernet cable completely changed my perspective on hardwiring for data!

I now plan to run conduit, rather than wire, throughout the house. A majority of the walls and floors are going to be opened up or rebuilt completely. I'm also going to be rewiring most of the house, running new water lines (the old ones are too weak to save), and A/C ducts. So it's question of "do it now, or never" and a complete no-brainer. Running conduit instead of wires will also allow me to research and analyze all the options, especially any new ones that come to market over the next year, while the renovation is still under way.

I hope that Apple's release of HomeKit is going to act as a catalyst for new solutions. I can't wait to see what the market will offer up!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.