2005-05-03, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Colors!

But seriously...

Not rocket science, just the 3-4 things EVERYONE thinks it should have:

- Better graphics
- Faster (non-laptop) hard drive...a 5400rpm
- More base RAM (512MB...plenty for most)
- Easier-to-access guts for consumer upgrades (without voiding warranty) for self RAM and AirPort card installation (or, better yet, make AirPort and Bluetooth standard)
- More affordable SuperDrive option

Those are the five that spring immediately to my mind (and would make me consider one OR wholeheartedly recommend one to a friend or relative...right now I just don't think I can, in good conscience).

Would be cool if they could somehow figure a way to either add another RAM slot OR - taking a cue from the iBook - solder on a permanent 256MB or so, leaving that sole slot open for user upgrade of their choosing. I think people would be happy with that.

Having only one slot - and sticking a next-to-useless 256MB in there - aggravates people. They have to trash it or try to sell it (good luck). Tiger and iLife 05 won't run worth a shit with 256MB, and it's cheesy and unfair to sling that on a customer (a newbie or switcher, in particular)...just gives a horrible first impression, either way:

- They get the 256MB and are extremely unsatisfied with performance, or
- They have to turn around and spend more money to bring it up to where any machine - in 2005 - should be to begin with.

They should solder on 512mb.

A 3.5" SATA HD would be nice too, but maybe if we have to suffer, a 2.5" SATA II Hard drive with full NCQ support would suffice. HD manufacturers are well behind in SATA development. Optical drive manufacturers are also.

I think Apple will ultimately have Airport and Bluetooth standard on all Macs. It would raise the bar for PC box assemblers anyways.

Mile 1