View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-05-03, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I get the sneaking feeling that if they DID include them, you'd be among the first to point out how they're "adding to the cost" and that "most people want a better-quality, multi-button mouse anyway...Apple is stupid for bundling their shitty mouse and keyboard with this!".

Anyone else with me on this?

Hey, not fair. Though I don't mind being called cheap, when I gripe, I always gripe about what I feel are value propositions. You've never seen me going spastic about the iMac's video card, for example, or about G4's in mobile applications. Money should go into things like standard RAM, standard HDD size, battery life (for portables), reasonable screen resolutions, etc etc...

You can't operate a computer without a keyboard. Given that an OEM keyboard and mouse (even ones so nice as Apple's) might cost as much as $10 each to produce (and even that's a stretch) it just doesn't make sense not to include it.

The mini needs it's ports. And the convert especially needs to learn the benefits of the one-button orthodoxy. Plus it's just sort of low class and cheapish not to include them. Jobs has done an admirable job of spinning it, but in the end it's a really nickle and dime move, and it takes two key aspects of the interface out of Apple's control. Not good.