View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-14, 11:57

That one's tough to believe...they surely would've announced it the other day, with all the rest.

2-3 months? I can maybe buy that (February-March of 2021). But I think the lineup - including Macs - is set for the year, heading into the holidays.

They wouldn't update the two lower-end 13" models, along with the 16"...and then leave those two upper-end 13" models (the $1,799 and $1,999 ones with 16GB RAM) untouched, would they?

And if it was their goal to update the entire lineup of MacBook Pros, then that surely would've been part of this past Tuesday's event...at only 45 minutes, they definitely had time to squeeze in another 5-10 minutes to talk about the M1-based 16" model.

I think the upper-end, more powerful/beefier Macs (those higher 13" models, the 16", iMac and Mac Pro) all come throughout 2021, and maybe even a bit into 2022 if WWDC's "two year" prediction is true. They might surprise everyone and transition everything by this time next year? Didn't they complete the PPC-to-Intel transition a little sooner than expected?

Did you mean to type 2-3 months?

My honest gut feeling is that when the 16" comes at some point in 2021, it will be accompanied by a redesign...along with the 13" models, which means it may be well into summer/fall of 2021, since these lower-end 13" models, with no redesign, were just announced. I don't think they'll want to have part of the lineup still on the old design/new architecture, with the other half with new, different design/new architecture.

I'm betting within a year from now, the entire MacBook Pro lineup gets a simultaneous overhaul/release...new 14" (heavily rumored, aligning with how the 15" went to 16") models and the 16"...all M1-based, of course, and sporting a redesign (although, as with the iMac, it's hard to imagine what they'd do since they've got it distilled own to such a simple, minimalist design at this point...they're not going to start adding gratuitous swoops, curves, etc., so "redesign" might simply mean a bit thinner, and maybe a new hinging design and corner radius/edge tweaks? It's pretty much a dialed-in, perfect design as is, IMO. I don't think the MacBook Pro will ever get the stylish wedge look because that cuts into the guts needed to earn the "Pro" moniker, so I just imagine this simple, minimalist sliver of aluminum for some time to come.

They'll want those "light, thin and powerful" bragging rights, even if Ive has left the building.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-14 at 12:11.