View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-14, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I don't suspect an 8k iMac any time soon. If anything, they would go 6k so it matches the resolution of the XDR. And that would likely mean a 30" iMac.
32, even, but yeah, exactly.

There were rumors of a 24-inch model, so going from 20/27 to 24/32 and logical resolutions 2048x1152/2560x1600 to 2288x1287/3008x1692 (~218ppi on the smaller, from ~224 to ~216 on the bigger model) makes sense to me. I guess this is driven by a lot of customers feeling "20? 27? I really kind of want something in between". 24-inch displays have become fairly common, whereas 27-inch is just within reach, but 32 feels fairly high-end, so now Apple can push 24 as the new default.

Plus, there's the likely bezel reduction and all.

Quote:
And 2 screen sizes have been the norm for so many years I can barely remember the last time that there was only one (early 2002?).
Well, yeah, before the iMac G4 was introduced in Jan 2002, there was only the 15-inch. The G4 first shipped as 15- and 17-inch models; then eventually, they added a third 20-inch size in late 2003! (The 15-inch G4 was… 4:3. How weird, from today's perspective. Then again, most/all? iPads are 4:3…)

Quote:
For giggles, I just measured a 21.5" iMac and it is almost exactly 24" from bottom left of the black bezel to the curved upper right. If that was a tiny bit larger, and the curve diameter a tiny bit smaller, then a 24" iMac would fit neatly into something about the same size as the current 21.5". So, it seams fitting that the rumored 24" iMac is a replacement for the current 21.5" form factor. And that leaves a lot of room for the 27" to grow in both size and resolution. So, a 30" display could make a lot of sense, considering it wouldn't be any larger physically than the current 27.
Yeah, though… people should be careful what they wish for. Smaller bezels could mean worse (or, not better) webcams.