View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-30, 12:25

I'd be okay with that. As we've talked about before, stuff with "pro" in its name should mean it. Maybe those two new lower-end MacBook Pros qualify now, with the new guts? I don't know. But they're still different from the others in ports, base RAM, etc.

Yes, I think the Air name is pointless anymore, and the Apple notebook line should just be a simple two-part thing...MacBook and MacBook Pro. They're all "air" at this point, and have been for a long time. But that wedge design, no fan, etc. could be the new MacBook, and the two Pro models should be as much power as you can get for the money spent.

I don't think Apple does themselves any favors by chopping things up and having some models of this sporting better specs than that, when the price/tiering doesn't always make sense.

I said before that the MacBook should be elevated/brought up via BTO for those who want "a little more" than stock. But the MacBook Pro should never been crippled/hobbled or otherwise made less-than. If you buy a MacBook Pro, even if the entry-level price is $1,700+, then you should get the four ports, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, the nicer display specs/tech, etc., even at the entry level. That $999-1,500 space, IMO, is better served by a MacBook (two ports, 8GB base RAM and not trying to be something it isn't, or sporting a false, misleading name).

However, I don't know if these two new M1 models change all that. Is a $1,299 13" M1-based MacBook Pro truly all that and way more than you'd get with the $1,799 Intel-based 13" model? I don't know, I'm asking. After the honeymoon/goo-goo-eye period, are we going to start seeing more sober, grounded reviews about these things?

Again, when all this transition stuff settles out, maybe it'll all make more sense. But, yeah...I'd be okay with a 13" and 15" MacBook (wedge, two ports, no fan, 8GB RAM/256GB stock, etc. and able to BTO to something much nicer for those who want). And then everyone else, who needs it, can buy a 14" or 16" Pro with no worries of "but is it really...?".

For the money asked for these things, there should be nothing not "pro" about the MacBook Pro, any size. They shouldn't cheapen that designator, IMO. Make it mean something, as it seems to on the desktops. Otherwise, just let the wedged, fanless MacBook be the notebook for the majority of buyers. I could see me opting for a 16GB 15" in a wedged, sleek design over 14" Pro, easily. Especially if the bezels came down a bit and a future 15" Apple notebook isn't quite the footprint as current ones.