View Single Post
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-24, 19:32

Where do you put your Dock and why?

You could even mention which iCandy options you have enabled: Size? Genie Effect? Magnification? Hiding?

Mine is on the Left (smaller than half size w/ Genie Effect, no Magnification, no Hiding). I think the Dock is most out of the way—but crucially still readily accessible—when on the left. On the right it overlays the default space for Desktop items.

IMO having the Dock anchored at the bottom of the screen is the worst option—it interferes with window resizing and hot corners most when there. I think the Dock should be as small as possible, but not too small that the icons cease to be easily discernible. I don't store any icons in the Dock (since I use the application launcher Quicksilver), so that keeps things pretty manageable... though I do still have 13 open apps right now.

Magnification can cause some GUI lag when the CPU is suddenly forced to do it and this reduces the "cool!" effect, so I don't use it. Plus accidentally magnifying icons gets irksome. I did use hiding for a while (and still do Cmd-Option-D when using screen hungry applications), but don't like the lag that sometimes occurs, nor unintentionally mousing to the bottom of the screen and having the Dock pop up.

With a dual monitor set-up, my Dock placement would likely be a little different—maybe on the right of the inferior display, with my (primary) Desktop on the superior display. iDunno...

I'm really interested in GUI choices like this. Again, iDunno why...

Oh- and... after 15 months I still dig Genie (+Shift)

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-01-24 at 19:38.