View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-30, 16:44

On the topic of higher capacity mobile devices, I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing 256gb or 512 or even a terabyte? On the one hand, one could reasonably expect technology to progress in such a manner as it has with all other forms of storage, but on the other hand, I have heard before that making solid state drives that large is physically problematic and more complicated than could easily be pared down for a mobile device. I don't understand the technical difficulties inherent to this, but I have read here and there that even just making an iPad 128gb versus 64gb isn't simply a question of shoving a higher capacity chip into it and there are energy and thermal considerations as well.

I also wonder if Apple would ever go the route of breaking up the iPad line in a similar sort of way to the Surface RT and Surface Pro where you have iPad Minis as well as full-sized iPads that are ultra thin and light living alongside of a thicker iPad that is significantly higher capacity and/or uses more powerful hardware all around, but still runs the same OS and apps. Ultimately, for how many people are migrating to iPads as full-sale replacements for their laptops, it's not inconceivable that Apple would want to 'fragment' the line a little and offer a wider range of models to choose from to accommodate that reality, even if the difference is somewhat subtle or insignificant on the surface.