View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2016-11-26, 07:24

Obviously Apple sells the iPad Pro which has a keyboard and touchscreen but no trackpad. Perhaps that is the sticking point in their mind. I don't know.

I just know my iPad mini 4 wasn't seeing a ton of use until on a lark, I bought a cheap bluetooth keyboard for it. I had tried a keyboard case but those keyboards were just too small and unusable for me. A detached bluetooth keyboard that is probably 90% of fullsize just transformed the use of it for me. It is now my mega-mini laptop that I use for work and wandering around five days a week.

Clearly to use it I go back and forth between touching and keyboard. I do occasionally wish I had a trackpad but it is 95% awesome.

Most of the recent reviews I've read on PC laptops that have touchscreens don't seem to focus much on color accuracy and brightness. Perhaps that is the sticking point. I read several reviews on the Dell XPS 13/15 for example and the HP x360 before settling in on my current laptop purchase of the prior gen Macbook Pro 15. A lot of them did the pointless specs comparison and just sort of compared the looks side by side.

The in depth reviews got into color calibration, glossiness, brightness, fan noise, thermal profile, etc. and honestly Apple still wins the day in almost all cases. They have certain things they just won't compromise on and until it can be done, they just pretend like the feature doesn't exist. I've seen several reviews where the 4k screen with touch knocked battery life down by a third while also being dimmer and more glossy. I can imagine those would all be giant negatives for Apple right now and they just wouldn't consider it for use as a result.