View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-31, 18:48

Where to start.

Dude comes into the store with an off-leash dog (illegal in Boise outside of designated off-leash parks). This dog is small (10lbs?). I tell dude that we do not permit dogs in the store. I get the typical response: "It's a service dog".

I am legally permitted to ask two questions: 1) Is that a service dog?; and 2) What tasks is it trained to perform. Dog's owner is legally required to answer both questions or we can refuse the animal outright.

Dude says, "It's a service dog."

I say, "That's a service dog?" (one of the questions I can legally ask.

Dude responds, "It's illegal for you to ask that."

I say, "No, it's not."

Dude cusses at me, tells me I'm breaking the law. As soon as he cusses, he is being abusive and I ask him to leave. He threatens to sue. I say, "Good luck with that."

Dude offers to bet me and extends his hand. "I'll bet you. I'm gonna sue."

I refuse to shake his hand. Not going there.

Dude takes his dog to the car. On his way out, I notice he has a large bowie knife tucked into his pants.

I think he is done and head for the back to breath. When I come back out, dude is back in the store rummaging through business cards. Uh, oh, he's going to call my boss (who is observing the encounter on video). I tell the dude he can take whatever business card he wants. Dude now says he has PTSD and points at all his tattoos, as if that means anything to me. We are discriminating because we will not permit his service dog in the store. I ask the 2nd question I am legally permitted to ask: "What task is your dog trained to perform?"

I tell him it is my legal right to know. He demands to know what I said earlier (implying I cannot ask if the dogs are service dogs). He refuses to answer my question and begins cussing at me again. I ask him to leave, he threatens to sue.

Then, the kicker.

"It's because I'm Mexican, isn't it?"

He has brown skin, but I had made no mention of jack or squat regarding race. Not my thing. We serve everyone who walks through the door unless they're assholes! This guy was an asshole. His skin is meaningless to me.

Then, he does his victory dance.

He gives me a NAZI salute and says, "Keep it white, man!" and leaves.

Seriously. So many people are using the fake service dog thing to get their pets into retail stores that it is taking the teeth out of the ADA service animal laws. It's just making me sick! This guy wasn't mad because he couldn't bring his service dog in. He was mad because he has been throwing his weight around to take his dumb pet with him and someone stood in his way. Then he played the race card on his way out.

He's the one who called someone out for their skin color, not me! Dick head!

Anyway, just venting.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)