View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-07-08, 02:04

I've seen the moaning online about being 'locked' into Apple GPUs and I don't get it. At all.

I started my Mac journey on Apple LCs, and progressed later on to a Power Mac 7200.
This was back in the day when you could slide off the cover of a Mac and see its innards with almost no effort.

For those newbies who have never see the inside of their MacBook or iMac, there are a gazillion specialized parts that together make up the machine that powers your work and home lives online. You don't care about who makes any of these parts. All you care about is that they work together to create a great user experience.

You don't even buy a TV caring about what card is powering its graphics. And putting pixels onscreen is a TV's only job.

The A-chip Macs will be released and the graphics will be benchmarked very quickly. If FCP or the Adobe suite runs poorly, it's goodbye to midrange and Pro users.
Apple hasn't spent a decade making this transition happen, just to kiss its most profitable Mac users goodbye.

The AI article is well written and explains that Apple is actually leading the pack on graphic technologies here.
And if for some reason Apple Silicon can't match graphics on the PC a few years down the road, it will take little effort to revert back to supporting them.

How does Apple - or its users - lose long-term on this bet?