View Single Post
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-20, 20:55

Quote:
It's the other way around, friend... put any among professional: basketball players, baseball players, football players, soccer players, track and field types, etc on skates and tell them to give it a go.
I did not mention that simply because I think the skates are an unfair variable in the big picture. Hockey players certainly have an edge in that regard since that is a talent that really requires you to learn from a young age.

but put a hockey player in the other sports and they'd look like big thugs. I have also seen many hockey players that look terribly out of shape. Hockey players often play into their 40s. All arguments used against baseball.

Quote:
A large majority (even those who have skated a number of times in their life) would quickly become frustrated trying to merely balance themselves as they attempt keep pace, turn, pivot, etc. The VAST majority would find it all but impossible to skate and manuever as noted above, while simultaneously keeping their head up, the puck on their blade... keeping it away from other players, getting passes off without hesitating, hitting that player's tape with that pass... much less getting into scoring position, much less scoring.

Nor would they be able to skate backwards with laterla mobility, without falling on their ass every 3 seconds. If you think otherwise I can only suggest you've never put on the equipment, laced em up and tried it yourself. Skating around the rink in lazy circles during disco night is something unrelated to the sport of hockey.
skating to be an NHL hockey player never came across as a "difficult thing" simply because if that is what you do you likely were born with skates on so to speak. Now, yes, if I were to decide to be a hockey player, I'd have an impossible time trying to skate like them. But since they grew up like that its almost 2nd nature. I don't neccessarily think the skill of skating makes them greater athletes though. I know 15 year old girls who can skate circles around any NHL player. And yes I've skated before and fair a bit better than the disco night at Berkeley Iceland. One of my past desires was to take up speed skating but without the rink it was impossible.

Quote:
Even so, I did not mean to imply that being a professional orrsman is an *easy* thing; I'm just saying the ability to become a competant rower (say at the high school or college level) is relatively easy when compared to the number and type of skills that must be mastered to become a competant hockey player, quarterback, or pitcher at the same level. You can take that or leave it of course; I suspect most who've played a variety of sports will agree with me though.
there is a difference between competant and competive. The collegiate level is no piece of cake. It is more of an international pool of rowers. As it is my team is dominated by them, olympians, national champs, etc. Also, dismissing the rowing as relatively easy sounds as if YOU have never suited up and got in a boat and tried it yourself. Also, we're not just talking technique here although you can spend alifetime perfecting that as well. Rowing, competively requires an amazing amount of strength and conditioning. It's a very cuthroat sport and if you have the time I recommend going to a gym and just hopping on one of the rowing machines. Try to hold 1:30 for 2000 meters. That would give you a fairly competive 2K time. I think you'll quickly realize within the first 30-60 seconds or maybe sooner just what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Cool to see another rower here. I did it at the UofW (intramural only), and my grandfather rowed there competitively in the early 30s. I agree with you on the skill of the proper rowing motion - it takes a hell of a lot of core stability to do effectively, and you have to have enough strength to counteract hitting a rogue wavetip and catching a crab. It doesn't require the sort of fast reflex hand-eye coordination that other sports do, but it does require a lot of properly trained muscle memory, strength and stamina - both kinds.
That's very cool. UW is as you probably know our biggest rival and I'll be heading up there this April for the duel. I'm proud to say I have 4 UW tanks from last season (San Diego Crew Classic, Duel, Pac-10s, and Nationals)