Thread: iPad 3
View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-20, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Retina Display
Thinner/Lighter (thanks to a carbon fiber enclosure?)
Faster (A6 Chip)
Greater storage capacity
LTE

Honestly, those are the only hardware changes I can see happening. What else does iPad need? Most of the gripes are software limitations that can be resolved by iOS 5 or 6.

Yup, the most drastic change I could see occurring would be if they changed the screen size slightly. 9.7" is pretty much perfect, but who knows, maybe if/when they put a retina display in there it will make sense to make it a little bigger(or smaller?). Other than the above, I mostly expect future iPad revisions to improve the product's overall value and price/performance-features ratio. They're already pretty much leading the way after the Xoom snafu(generally more expensive and not as powerful as advertised), and I doubt Apple will let off on that front. 32/64/128gb storage seems like a given, but I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if they always keep a 16gb wifi model around to keep the introduction price as low as possible. Doubt we will ever see an SD card slot, and higher quality cameras seem iffy as well. The cameras will probably improve, but not be cutting edge.

The only other major change/improvement that I'd like to see would be a consolidation of models. If possible, make a single model that supports GSM and CDMA, beyond that, if possible, eliminate the $130 extra charge for 3g(or 4g by then). It may not be feasible to do so, but I really think Apple is going to try and keep the iPad value assessment as favorable as they can.