View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-30, 12:59

Bought it.

And yes, Drew, space pirates.

...and zombies and bounty hunters

I played it for a few yours yesterday and Friday night. It's fun and very pretty, but the mouse-driven steering controls are hard to get into my brain after having played EV and other asteroids-style games with WASD for so long.

It does feel a bit simple when compared to Escape Velocity: Nova (which I haven't played in years) or even the earlier EV games. Maybe this will change later in the game (I don't get the feeling it will), but starting out, there are only two main factions to deal with: the government and civilians. Reputation is also simplified in that it doesn't extend beyond a single star system; you can be hated by civilians in one star system and adored by them in the next system over. I guess that makes the game easier, but it makes the continuity in the game inconsistent. Recurring characters or missions that remember you span across systems, but your general reputation doesn't? Seems weird.

Also, the writing is pretty bad. It's not deliberately bad; it's amateurish bad. It feels like it was written by an angsty high schooler in creative writing class. I find myself rushing through the occasional conversations between characters. Fortunately, there's not a lot of time spent reading these exchanges.

Still, for a measly $2 on sale? Go for it. Even for the normal $10 price, if you enjoy top-down space shooters, definitely consider it.

I don't think I'll be trying to complete SPAZ like I did the Escape Velocity games. (I tried to complete several if not all of the EV: Nova story lines.) It'll be a fun way to blast away a few hours here and there, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.